A number of our customers have been asking us about the recommended guidance of cleaning our radios and accessories during the corona virus (COVID-19) outbreak. It is not fully known how long the corona virus lasts on surfaces but recent tests carried out by scientists show it can survive for a minimum of 72 hours, this study was originally published in the preprint database medRxiv on March 11. A revised version was published March 17 in The New England Journal of Medicine. There are some reports of the virus which can survive on plastic or metal surfaces for up to 9 days.
We have devised some best practice tips for cleaning and disinfecting your radios and accessories, these should be carried out as part of your daily routine especially if radios are being shared across your workforce.
Cleaning professional mobile radio equipment
- Turn off your radio before cleaning or disinfecting the device.
- A number of our radios are IP67/IP68 rated but we advise against using water or cleaning sprays on your devices or accessories.
- Ideally wear disposable gloves when cleaning and disinfecting your radios and accessories. Gloves should be discarded after each cleaning. If reusable gloves are used, those gloves should be dedicated for cleaning and disinfection for COVID-19 and should not be used for other purposes. Consult the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning and disinfection products used. Clean your hands immediately after gloves are removed.
- We recommend either using over the counter anti-bacterial wipes or over-the-counter isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) with at least 70% alcohol concentration to disinfect the outside of your portable radio. Please bear in mind when cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, the alcohol should never be applied directly to the device, ensuring you apply it with a microfibre cleaning cloth. It is important not to get any liquid in the charging/accessory port or porous areas like speakers.
- Under no circumstances should bleach, solvents or cleaning sprays be used to cleanse or disinfect your device.
- Simoco Wireless Solutions advise that audio accessories are not shared for general hygiene practices.
- Do not use water or cleaning sprays to clean your accessories.
- Using wipes that contain isopropyl alcohol that has at least 70% alcohol concentration or applying the alcohol to a microfiber cloth, wipe down all areas of the accessory.
If you require any further guidance on the above, contact Simoco Wireless Solutions today and we’ll gladly assist.